The Train Department

Author Topic: Orenstien and Koppel 0-4-0 plans  (Read 5157 times)

Offline IPDMG Rr

• Lounge Member
Orenstien and Koppel 0-4-0 plans
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:17:32 AM »
Hi All,

I am new to this forum after making the decision to venture into 7/8 scale as a side project from 1:20.3 projects.

I am considering building a Orenstien and Koppel 0-4-0 preferably with Marshall valve gear. As such does anyone know where it is possible to obtain some basic line drawings of one? I am not after great detail but just some general dimensions to base the model off.

A search of the net does not provide to much so I am hoping someone is able to assist.

Many thanks to all in advance.

Mark

Offline jojje

• Supporting
Re: Orenstien and Koppel 0-4-0 plans
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
Hi Mark and welcome!
I am in the process of rebuilding one from a LGB stainz(well it has to be delivered this year..... :})
This is a drawing i found while searching earlier. It is a locomotive that still runs in Sweden.
On this link you can see a little bit of how my model looks. http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php?topic=1147.0
Regards Johan
ila_rendered
Orenstien and Koppel 0-4-0 plans
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: Builds in 1:13.3 but loves all!

Offline xo18thfa

• Supporting
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
I am not very familiar with these, but a fellow named Jean Villette built an 0-4-0 "Decauville" in 7.25" gauge that looks a lot like an O&K.  Mr Villette did a construction series on this engine in Live Steam magazine starting in April 1985.

If this is the same engine (or close) I have a set of plans.

• I am interested or build in the following scales: Dumping 1:20.3, going 13.7
Bob Sorenson
Las Vegas, Nevada
"Goals are dreams with deadlines"

Offline decauville_nl

• Larger Scales
    • Decauville Spoorweg Museum
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:16:54 PM »
Hi,

The above engine drawings are of a Decauville "Progress" type. Relatively close, but no sigar! The Decauville loco's have a style of their own and are quite different from O&K loco's. Nice drawings though.

Orenstein built a lot of different types. Attached some pic's of the well known B coupled Industrial NG loco's in various forms

Small 20HP Orenstein & Koppel with "Marshall valvegear" as Mark mentioned, although according to O&K this was O&K Patent Steuerung (O&K Patent valve gear), ca. 1910-20

30HP O&K with Patent Steuerung, ca. 1910

Older type ("Alte Normalien") O&K 50HP, ca 1910

Newer type ("Neue Normalien") O&K 50HP, mid 20's-30's

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:53:01 PM by decauville_nl »
Cheers,

Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam

DECAUVILLE SPOORWEG MUSEUM, Harskamp NL

http://www.decauville.nl
http://nmld.locaalspoor.nl/index.php?page=collection&id=21&lan=nl

Offline IPDMG Rr

• Lounge Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »
Hi All,

thanks for the kind welcome and pics/plans.

The project I have in mind will be live steam and the 20hp 0-4-0 with Marshall gear or the 30HP O&K with Patent Steuerung, ca. 1910 as decauville_nl posted (much appreciated!) is exactly what I was after. Having seen the Marshall gear work on a few larger scale live steam models I am very keen to have a go at building an O&K loco like this. While not complicated the valve gear does look good working.
I reckon with a combination of the line drawings and pics posted I should be able to scale something up that should produce a nice model. 

Many thanks again.

Regards

Mark

Offline xo18thfa

• Supporting
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
The Marshal is a very good gear.  The pictures Arnoud shows have a variety of gear.  Walschearts, Stevenson, the Patent Steuerung look like a Hackworth in a way. 

Check out Charlie Dockstader's valve gear simulator program.  Charlie's program is not really intended for design, but is great for testing.  It is possible to modify Charlies examples to fit your needs.

http://www.tcsn.net/charlied/
Bob Sorenson
Las Vegas, Nevada

Offline OldNo9

• Hooked on 7/8ths
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:11:04 PM »
Hi,
As Koppel locomotives used many common components a series of articles that might be of interest were produced by Ken Swan in Engineering in Miniature. The drawings were for a 7 1/4" gauge 0-4-0 rack locomotive and also an 0-6-0. Divide the dimensions by 4 and your running in 1 3/4" or 45mm.

Best Regards,
Jonathan   
p.s has anyone ventured into a 7/8n2 rack railway?

Roughboy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »
Excellent... thanks for posting the drawings Bob. Filing those away for future reference.

Paul

Offline xo18thfa

• Supporting
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
The more I look at the O&K and the Decauville, the more they look the same.  Which came first??  If I was an old school teacher, I would have to call plagiarism on somebody.
Bob Sorenson
Las Vegas, Nevada