Author Topic: Best Glue For Gluing Sheets of Plywood Together ?????  (Read 13081 times)

Offline Jim Massfeller

• Supporting
Best Glue For Gluing Sheets of Plywood Together ?????
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:04 AM »
My laser scribed plywood arrived from Ozark and I am wondering what is the best glue to use to glue a 1/32" piece to a 1/8" piece so I have scribing on both the inside and outside.

Any suggestions?

Regular yellowish carpenter's wood glue seems right but I am concerned about warping.

• I am interested or build in the following scales: 7/8" Maine Style Big Models

Offline Jack Mc Kie

• Supporting
Re: Best Glue For Gluing Sheets of Plywood Together ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:31:01 AM »
I would use carpenters glue or maybe epoxy?  Much depends on the size of the plywood.  I have used thick CA glue on small laminations when time was an issue.
Jack

• I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 45mm
Jack Mc Kie

Offline kk

• MasterBuilder
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:32:17 AM »
Hi Jim,

Normal woodworking glue would be the choice. If it is going to be laminated together just press both pics together on a flat surface. use a suitable weight like books or so.

If it should be water proof then either use a low setting epoxy glue or water resistant woodworking glue.

Ig glueing the burned sides be sure to remove the burned wood as this may not give the best bond. Be sure not to round the edges. 8}   
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13,8 to 1:12 and a little 16 mm
Cheers
Klaus
Resident engineer of the 'Cymraeg a Almaenwr Lech Chwmni' & Au'Weia Sugar Co.

Offline farholmer

• Hooked on 7/8ths
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »
Not impact adhesive as used for gluing formica to worktops. It holds very well until the sun shines on it for too long, at which point is delaminates and the thin ply curls up.

How do I know this? ............ well ............... I had a brakevan roof made of two sheets of 2mm ply laminated together this way ...............and you can work the rest out for yourself!

Also, I vaguely recall being taught that to get a truly stable construction you need to end up with an uneven number of laminations. Plywood is made like that, but things can go wrong when it is laminated, because two odds make an even, so you might be better with, say 3 x 2mm, rather than 2x3mm, and for super-stability, the sheets probably ought to be set at different grain orientations where they interface. Mind you, this might be more important for aircraft than model trains!

Regards, Kevin
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 16mm/ft, 1n21
May the grass grow between your rails

Offline rkapuaala

• Rick Kapuaala
  • ScaleHumans
  • Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono
    • ScaleHumans
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »
We did custom laminations at the last shop I worked at 30 years ago. We had a giant press that heated up and we used a pvc based glue. Contact cement is okay on thicker laminates but if you get to 1/32 and smaller they are very much affected by heat. Some finishes will delaminate contact cement too.
I used to also do vacuum form laminations. Its great for curved stuff and small flat things.
Carpenters glue should do nicely. I would not use expoxy as you need to make sure the entire surface has a thin even layer of glue on it.
We used applicators for our laminations and they were designed with small groves evenly space to make sure the glue was the right depth. Work small like you are I would just make sure that you apply the glue thick enough that the surface of the ply can be seen through the glue and it is equally transparent. Do this to both pieces.
If you have a vacuum bag, (28 hg minimum) then vacuum press it on platten with a surface that glue wont stick to because you are gona get squeeze out.
If not, make two plattens (non glueable surfaces) make a few gently curved cauls and use a lot of clamps to clamp the two pieces together.
If the pieces are small enough you might be able to put enought weight on top of the top platen to get good surface contact.
Make sure all your plattens are perfectly flat. If they are not your finish laminate will take on any shape characteristics of the platen.
So, if the platen is bowed a little in the center your laminate will form to that shape.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:44:37 AM by rkapuaala »
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 7/8ths,1:20.32, 1:22,1:8,1:12, 1:29, 1:6

Offline Ferd Mels

• Just Do IT!! Build in SE Today. :-)
  • Administrator
  • Narrow Minded Model Engineer.
    • My 7/8ths Site
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
Hi Jim
I have had great success with Gorilla Glue - it does expand and needs to set for 24hr under pressure. (clamped) it is waterproof and UV stable. Should outlast the rest of the car.

cheers Ferd
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 • 7/8ths Scale • the only scale to build in. "Go Big or Go Home"

Offline xo18thfa

• Supporting
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »
Gorilla Glue or Titebond III will do the job.   The wood will fail before the joint goes.  Clamp together on a piece of wax paper so the parts don't stick to the work bench.
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: Dumping 1:20.3, going 13.7
Bob Sorenson
Las Vegas, Nevada
"Goals are dreams with deadlines"

Offline smokebox

• Hooked on 7/8ths
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »

HIYA!!!

I agree, titebond is some strong glue and will hold up even to a monsoon!! I've not used titebond III but with II, just spread it with either a toothpick or a 1/4" nylon brush and clamp it up. Thin coats on each part.
                                                                Rob Wright
                                                                 smokebox
Rob Wright
 smokebox

Offline Ferd Mels

• Administrator
    • My 7/8ths Site
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
I forgot about titebond it is awesome stuff - and will even glue glass and stones to wood.

• I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 • 7/8ths Scale • the only scale to build in. "Go Big or Go Home"

Offline xo18thfa

• Supporting
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
I read somewhere that Titebond III has a different chemical make up then Titebond II.  TB III is waterproof vis water resistent.
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: Dumping 1:20.3, going 13.7
Bob Sorenson
Las Vegas, Nevada
"Goals are dreams with deadlines"

Offline rkapuaala

• Rick Kapuaala
  • ScaleHumans
  • Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono
    • ScaleHumans
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »
Its been a while since I've had to look into it, but the only truly water proof glues are epoxies. Nothing with an air catalyst or curing at room temp can be completely water proof. That's old school theory, with today's technology, who knows.
A glue is truly water proof if it can remain underwater indefinitely without breaking down. None of the wood glues I used to use could remain submersed in water for any period of time without breaking down. Of course, that's knowledge of glues from 20 some odd years ago.
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 7/8ths,1:20.32, 1:22,1:8,1:12, 1:29, 1:6

Offline sshyvers

• Serious Builder
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »
I use regular old Elmer's white glue for assembling wooden parts for car bodies, unless the joint will be under a lot of tension. The joints should be strong enough unless the car will live outside and regularly get rained on. Water-based glues enhance the wood-to-wood bond by raising the surface fibers of the wood, and then the surface fibers of the two parts sort of link together and are held like that by the dried glue. Water-based glue joints need to be clamped to force the surface fibers together and achieve maximum strength.

The water in the glue also enables the glue to soak into the wood a little bit, so clamping won't squeeze all the glue out and create a glue-starved joint. Make sure that the entire surface to be joined has a thin coat of glue, though, so that the entire surface is wet. I usually try to coat both surfaces and spread the glue as evenly as possible using a scrap of wood. Then I put the two surfaces together and let the glue soak into the surface for a few minutes before clamping. If you're bonding two large surfaces together the glue needs to be very evenly spread. I carefully scrape off any glue that squeezes out of the joint so that it doesn't get all over other areas of the wood, and I wipe off any traces immediately with a wet cloth.

Since you're planning to bond two pieces of plywood back-to-back warpage might not be a big problem. Clamp the assembly by putting it on a flat surface and then placing a flat object on top of it followed up by additional weights as needed.

Steve

Offline Charley

• MasterBuilder
  • The world is your Oyster
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »
SS , Fellers...

And Steve would know..he was the lead  wood glue technician on Howard Hughs Spruce goose project when he was but a pup wood bonding engineer..yessir..

He claims to have flew as the Goose ran  along San Diego harbour..I am skeptical of this ...!..

Charley
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1/2 n 18 and , one to one...18 " gauge
Have fun - Charley

Offline SE18

• David V
  • Supreme Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 05:33:03 AM »
I'm gonna be joining wood ribs to thin wood (not plywood, just real thin, maybe 3 mm) to form boats soon. In my case the wood will be curving around the ribs to form the boat lines. I'm thinking super glue as I don't have a lot of clamps you need for ships. The other thing I'm thinking is prebend the wood by steaming. Another option I'm considering is doing it in panels. Any suggestions appreciated, but it will probably be trial and error like everything else.
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 with some 1:48

Offline Ferd Mels

• Administrator
    • My 7/8ths Site
Best Glue For Gluing Sheets of Plywood Together ?????
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:03:55 AM »
Hi Dave

Get cheap clamps at the dollar stores. I always buy up the little ones, usually 4 or 5 for a buck. I would use either Titebond or Gorilla glue as they tend to create a bond stronger than the original wood itself. To bend wood a quick and easy trick versus steaming. Soak wood in ammonia and they run the wood over a hot soldering iron while bending it. This will curve it and dry it at the same time.  To make a steamer we used to use large PVC plumbing tubes - 4-6" in diameter with a cap pn one end and steam from kettle funneled into the other. I personally found the ammonia solution which all grocery stores sell to be a ton faster and easier other than burning the odd finger.

Cheers Ferd