The Train Department

Author Topic: Accucraft 7/8" Hunslet images  (Read 10271 times)

Offline mr acme

• Advanced 7/8ths
    • ACME Engineering
Accucraft 7/8" Hunslet images
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:50:25 AM »
Visited the Llanfair show in the UK yesterday. Took the opportunity to speak to Ian Pearse about the pre-production 7/8" scale Hunslet he was showing on his stand.

There are a few minor detail changes to be made, but one has to admit that it is drop dead gorgeous. The images show the engine with my slate wagon kit assembled apart from wheels and couplings. I've revised the scale and manner of production, consequently this is due to be re-launched commercially at a very attractive price. I envisage that the introduction of ready to run live steam engines in 7/8" will increase the demand.

Rob Bennett arrived and put one of his figures on board for comparison. Looks good.

I've had numerous requests asking whether I could fit radio control. Based upon what I saw, the answer is yes, albeit a tight fit, I will be able to offer this service.

Best

Mike Ousby

aka Mr ACME

www.acmesteam.co.uk
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:56:19 AM by mr acme »

• I am interested or build in the following scales: www.acmesteam.co.uk sales@acmesteam.co.uk
Mr ACME. Railway modeller to the stars of stage, screen and TV. All round good egg and bon viveur.

www.acmesteam.co.uk
sales@acmesteam.co.uk

Offline peter burnett

• Larger Scales
Re: Accucraft 7/8" Hunslet images
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:23:45 AM »
Mike,

Thanks from one who could not attend, after all the hype it's nice to see it in the flesh.

Any further comments regarding delivery date?

Cheers,

Peter.
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:20.3 and 1:13.7

Offline james_live_steam

• Hooked on 7/8ths
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 04:37:34 AM »
It looks better in the flesh.  I was really impressed by the loco yesterday.  Being 7/8ths it has the right proportions which most of the 16mm ones have to compromise slightly.

Did anyone have sense to measure the coupling height and if not could someone do this today.

Cheers

James

Offline mr acme

• Advanced 7/8ths
    • ACME Engineering
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:20:47 AM »
I asked Ian this and he did not directly reply. I suppose it depends upon how long it takes China to do the small number of mods he wants and then he can sign off for production.

I guesstimate early 2012, but I'm probably wrong.

Best

Mike Ousby
aka Mr ACME

Mike,

Thanks from one who could not attend, after all the hype it's nice to see it in the flesh.

Cheers,

Peter.
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: www.acmesteam.co.uk sales@acmesteam.co.uk
Mr ACME. Railway modeller to the stars of stage, screen and TV. All round good egg and bon viveur.

www.acmesteam.co.uk
sales@acmesteam.co.uk

Offline mr acme

• Advanced 7/8ths
    • ACME Engineering
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:22:28 AM »
I took some critical measurements to ensure that my CNC laser kits will match up.

I measured rail head to centre of rear coupling to be 29.89mm.

If somebody else wants to check this, fine.

Best

Mike Ousby

aka Mr ACME

It looks better in the flesh.  I was really impressed by the loco yesterday.  Being 7/8ths it has the right proportions which most of the 16mm ones have to compromise slightly.

Did anyone have sense to measure the coupling height and if not could someone do this today.

Cheers

James
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:51:49 AM by mr acme »

www.acmesteam.co.uk
sales@acmesteam.co.uk

Offline Jack Mc Kie

• Supporting
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:29:05 AM »
Hunslet looks nice!  Is it going to be run on a track at the show?   

The fuel filler valve seems to be between the backhead and platework.   Will it require a special filler?

Love the easy acccess to the regulator!   R/C control, maybe, but this loco just begs to be run manually!

I'd be curious as to changes Ian wants made?

Looking forward to owning one of these!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:46:37 AM by Jack Mc Kie »
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 45mm
Jack Mc Kie

Offline james_live_steam

• Hooked on 7/8ths
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »
Thanks Mike, look forward to the revised kits

James

Offline slowsteamer

• Larger Scales
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:26:18 AM »
Speaking to them yesterday they intend to supply a gas adaptor with an extended tube with the loco.
It looks even better in the flesh than in the pictures.
They seemed very happy with the loco but said there where a few cosmectic tweeks that need to be done.

Adrian

Offline David Lawson

• Hooked on 7/8ths
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »
Any comment on run time without topping up fuel or water?

Looks like a good fit for Rob's 7/8 figures...shame it wasn't the new driver figure though!  No pressure, Rob, honest!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:53:45 AM by David Lawson »
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 Welsh slate mines and Indian hill railways
DAVIDL

Offline Denny16

• Advanced 7/8ths
  • Life is short, keep steaming!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »
The Emma ran for more than 30 min.  I have gotten 20 min on a Ruby, my guess be would be 20-25 min., at mim., Depending on how You run it, of course.  If the boiler is lagged, longer run times can be made, as gas can be backed off, increasing run time.  But this just a guess, could be linger, hard to tell how big the boiler is from photo. Looks great, however.
  Anyone wanting RC installed in US, I can do it, using custom brackets, I developed for Ruby series engines.   But this engine is a natural to run by hand, if layout allows you to.
 Denny
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:20.3Fn3 1:17n30 & 1:13.7n2

Offline Jack Mc Kie

• Supporting
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »
I dug out the Quarry Hunslet book and looked at web pictures to compare the model to Hugh Napier.  I find it difficult to find fault with the model as it is so wel l done.  Much better level of detail than I expected to see.    If it runs as good as it looks I'll be a very happy camper!

Making the tool holders on the saddle tank a tad larger might be nice.   In looking at pictures of other large quarry class loco there are differences though minor.   I am hoping that the tank is easily removed and the name plates changed out.   I'd like mine to be "Gertrude" since that is the only one I have seen in the flesh albeit cut up.  Time to start looking for pictures!
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 45mm
Jack Mc Kie

Offline chris stockdale

• MasterBuilder
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »

Peter,

I'm just back from Llanfair. The earliest delivery date is February 2013, although March/April might be more likely. Si Harris has some good pics too (he showed me on his camera) so I didn't over egg it by taking yet more. Si should be uploading his within hours.

bestest,
Stockers

Offline David Lawson

• Hooked on 7/8ths
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »
Denny,

Thanks for your guesses, but I am assuming the boiler is bigger then Emma or Ruby...not sure about the cylinders...hence the question in case someone asked.

It's an interesting point though...has anyone seen a photo of the Hunslet next to a Ruby for comparison?
  • I am interested or build in the following scales: 1:13.7 Welsh slate mines and Indian hill railways
DAVIDL

Offline walt linn

• Smaller Scales
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
It's hard to tell from the pictures but I seem to see two shiny brass bits on the bottom of the cylinders.  Are they perhaps drilled, tapped and plugged to accept DJB Engineering’s automatic drain cocks like the Accucraft “Flying Scotsman”?

It also appears as though the bottoms of the frames are straight across as in Hugh Napier, as opposed to sloping upwards from the wheels to the buffers as on Maxitrak's Alice?  Is this correct?

And is that the displacement lubricator behind the front buffer in front of the smokebox?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:45:22 PM by walt linn »

Offline Modelearth

• Supporting
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
Guys.

Here are some more shots of the Accucraft quarry Hunslet.

Ian was good enough to allow, this lovely engine off of the Accucraft stand long enough to grab these images.

It is truly impressive in the flesh, really substantial with a high level of detail. This deserves to be a resounding success, I cant wait to get a paint job on mine!!!

Loco from Accucraft, figure from Busybodies and rolling stock from ModelEarth.

Enjoy

Si